Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ulcerative Colitis

Remember in college how we would tell Melissa, "I love your gut?" Well, that is because she had her colon removed due to a disease called ulcerative colitis. If you want to learn more about it, there is a great website called crohnsandcolitisinfo.com

Two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. It's been a rough couple of months! When Camille was 6 weeks old, I started having painful, watery, explosive diarrhea. At first, I thought it was just a stomach bug, but after several days no one else was getting sick, and the diarrhea was unlike anything I had ever experienced before. I kind of just kept waiting it out, but after 4 weeks, I finally went to my doctor and did blood work and stool tests. My doctor's first concern was that I had C-diff, which is an intestinal bacteria commonly picked up in healthcare settings. Since I had just been in the hospital to have my baby, this was a likely explanation. My stool tests were negative for C-diff, but positive for white blood cells and inflammation, which indicates some sort of infection. He decided to put me on flagyl, an antibiotic that kills C-diff. At this point, I was having a lot of blood in my stool, which was concerning me and decreasing my energy levels pretty rapidly. After 7 days of being on flagyl and seeing no improvement and getting worse, I saw a gastroenterologist who said, "I think you either have Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis." That week I had a colonoscopy and received the diagnosis.

Ulcerative colitis is a life long disease. It is characterized by inflammation in the large intestine and rectum. Many people respond to treatments and have periods of "remission." Various stresses, foods, etc. can cause someone to have "flare-ups." The tricky thing with this is that it affects every person differently. Some people have it so severely that their colon is removed (like Melissa), but others can function pretty normally with diet changes and medication.

Right now, I am on prednisone (a steroid medication) and apriso (an anti-inflammatory medication that works locally in the gut). They seem to be helping and I have been feeling better, just not completely back to normal. I have seen a lot of blessings throughout the whole process (like the fact that Camille is such a good sleeper), but also a lot of disappointments (like having to stop nursing Camille).

It stinks! Anyone with chronic health problems can vouch that it is just not any fun! You never know what life is going to bring. Life may seem to be going so well, and then something like this happens and it changes things! One thing that has helped me during this rough time has been to be mindful of the many blessings I do have. Easier said than done, but I think when we truly look for the good in our lives, then we will find it, even amidst very hard trials. I would love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Shelley, I have been thinking about and praying for you so much. I am so sorry this has come into your life. I can't imagine how exhausted you must be with three little ones and losing so much blood. I wish I could take it away. However, when I look back at my trials and difficult times they really are precious to me. Those are the times in which I have come to rely on my Savior more fully and through doing so I have been able to have sacred experiences which I wouldn't give up. So there are blessings even in the midst of trials but often it took me getting through the trial before I saw the blessings. I remember when I was sick with UC my grandpa brought me this talk (https://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/02/our-thorns-in-the-flesh?lang=eng). I didn't appreciate it at the time but a year or so later when I read it again I really loved it. Probably my favorite part is just the scripture quotation from Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10.

    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

    I know difficult things can bring blessings and become sanctifying times in our lives. Which reminds me of Elder Holland's BYU devotional talk on "Lessons from Liberty Jail", another favorite. https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/jeffrey-r-holland_lessons-liberty-jail/

    The weak times in our lives can become strengths through the Lord. I know that is true, I have experienced it in my life. Those are the times I have felt the power of Christ. So while I can't say I would choose to go through difficult times I am so grateful for them and how they have shaped me for the better.

    Life doesn't always go how we would like or how we think it should but it is still a good life! And God is still good!

    Love you muchly and sending you a big virtual hug. I hope the medications will keep improving things. Sorry about the prednisone that one is not my favorite but it was the only one that really helped me. But I know many others are able to achieve and maintain remission with the other drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I always remember is that whenever I hit a new life milestone, I kind of go through the stages of grief all over again (albeit more briefly than when I was initially diagnosed with diabetes). Having a baby is really stressful with diabetes, so I went through the stages then. Getting a new job adds a different schedule, so I went through the stages then. Once I recognized what was happening, it made it so much easier to cope.

    Sending lots of prayers and love your way! That sounds so miserable, and I'm glad they were able to figure it out. Hope the treatment is successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shelley, my thoughts and prayers are with you! The only thing I have to compare anything like this to is what I have gone through with Jared. And I think you just learn to shift your perspective on what a 'normal' life is. Like Melissa said I can't even imagine going through all that with three little ones, one being a new baby! But this I do know, more than anything, that His grace really is sufficient. He really can make weak things become strong, and He can make our burdens seem light. As we all have to adjust to a new normal when trials come, He is there to help us along, until all of a sudden we are succeeding. I love you, and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley, thanks for sharing this with us. What a difficult trial :( I hope you'll keep us updated on your health status. As I think about each roommate, it's interesting to consider the different trials we have each faced, and are currently facing. You are all such faithful, strong women, and I appreciate your testimonies and courage! I will keep you and your family in my prayers, Shelley. Love you!

    ReplyDelete